Saturday, January 29, 2005

Hummus is The Devil's Work

So the party went off without a hitch...lots of fun, lots of wine (for the attendees, aside from me) and, overall, a nice way to celebrate a friend's birthday.

The restaurant was perfect. Nice, open feel and a cavalcade of sights, smells and flavors that really made it an ideal space...and despite the cold weather outside, it was comfy therein. All in all, a major success. And we sang Happy Birthday to the guest of honor at five minutes to 12, thanQveryMooch.

Zoe is a wonderful restaurant, and their Restaurant Week Prix-Fixe was fairly impressive: I personally started off with a yummy salmon tartare, then moved into Kobe Sirloin (unreal) and we all, for the most part, wrapped up with a Chocolate Trio involving chocolate panacotta (like a flan), a bittersweet chocolate ice cream, and a powdered chocolate ganache cake. I passed on alcohol mostly because I had such a long, tiring week, and as much as I was in the mood for a good cab or a vodka tonic, I knew I was having a tough time keeping awake and didn't want to pass out before dessert. During, perhaps -- but not before :-) It was really a very memorable meal in addition to the great company, despite some significant absences.

I noted my other half being in Cali. here and there out loud and was fairly up front about how much I miss her...and went so far as sharing a picture or two of her "with" me on New Year's Eve, much to the delight of the other attendees. We all felt badly that a couple other friends couldn't make it due to bronchitis and other wintertime maladies. While they didn't make it in person, they were with us in spirit.

This morning I woke up and dove into a pile of paper, reviewing everything necessary to ace my meeting Monday and the subsequent follow-up on Tuesday. The day after that is another big one, so I'll nail that stuff shut tomorrow at some point between loads of laundry and upgrading the PC, and from there I'll be ready to handle Monday morning.

In the meantime, however, I'm munching on some hummus -- which seems nuclear this morning, especially after last night's sumptuous menu -- and absorbing some random Steely Dan. I fired up Aja and floated out into space along with the arpeggios and the solos' crescendoes. It's easy to get lost in another world when its construct is so detailed, like a dream that you live for days or weeks. Even if Monday morning is 36 hours away. I just hope this hummus isn't hallucinogenic...
You call me a fool
You say it's a crazy scheme
This one's for real
I already bought the dream
So useless to ask me why
Throw a kiss and say goodbye
I'll make it this time
I'm ready to cross that fine line

I'll learn to work the saxophone
I'll play just what I feel
Drink Scotch whisky all night long
And die behind the wheel
They got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues

No comments: