Thursday, February 17, 2005

Happiness Is A Warm, Freshly-Made Bed

I am bouncing off the walls this AM, as my other half is coming to NYC for a five-day visit for both work and play; she's got some face-time scheduled in her eventual new office in midtown and the rest of her visit will be spent with her ever-dedicated tour guide and fan, yours truly. We're even thinking of getting the W's room-service special mattress chocolate sundae, although I'm guessing we'll still have a tasty visit even if we opt for more conventional dessert :-D

We've got a cavalcade of plans and items on our mutual to-do list, some of which cannot be shared herein...sorry ;-) For the most part, I'm most looking forward to Sunday, when she and I will be heading over the GW Bridge for a meet-and-greet with my family, ie my parents and the Ohio contingent. I'll be bringing a guitar or two and some sheet music for my cousin who's just starting out in the world of the six-string, and I am not quite sure how far along he is but I'm looking forward to plugging in and waking up the neighborhood, if not his musical world. I'm hoping to edjamacate him in the ways of Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Angus Young, Joe Perry, Stevie Ray Vaughan, James Taylor, Mark Knopfler and Dave Matthews, but I'm starting small -- barre chords and some scales and finger-work :-)

Hopefully he doesn't ask me to show him how to play Stairway to Heaven -- I'm leaving the (sic) double-neck home ;-)

In either case, I should be sleeping but I'm far too excited about having my San Francisco treat in town; at the risk of repeating myself, I can't help but notice how much I miss having her around when she's not here, and how happy I am when she is. Without sounding too corny, it amazes me -- daily -- how lucky I am (on so many levels) -- that I've found someone who doesn't "complete" me but "complements" me. These last few weeks, as my work-stress level escalated to fever-pitch, she's not only handled my craziness but managed to keep me sane and smiling, and to suggest I'm appreciative and thrilled to have her in my life would be an understatement of epic proportion. I guess, looking back over the last five months, that Steve Miller, in "Jet Airliner," knew what he was talking about when he opined: "You have to go through hell before you get to heaven."

So as I ruminate on the trifecta and where I am in life, I am repeatedly reminded that I am lucky in ways I can't describe, and I can't even adequately put into words how I'll be feeling knowing this woman, who was instrumental in helping me get through my father's illness, will finally get the opportunity to meet him and be a part of what I can only hope will be a future that gets brighter by the day, especially because of her being in it and with me.

I will be stopping by and posting as time allows, though I expect any posts herein will be both brief and most likely very sappy :-)

1 comment:

Kaia said...

I'm Here! YAY!!!