Saturday, February 26, 2005

Deja Vu, Old Friends, Old Applications, Same Smile

A cold, working (half) Saturday isn't very enticing, but the chance to get back to being caught up with the variety of work floating around my office was something to which I was looking forward. The entire Boogie clan made their way to the office, though I was the last of the arrivals, and while they moved through a bunch of paper which needs to be filed no later than Tuesday, I had stuff on the day's agenda to be completed and filed ASAFP.

So I plowed through 19 pages of data until my eyes were red, blurry and aching. Around 5:30 I noticed I hadn't eaten all day, and I would have heard my stomach growling save for the fact that I had a 8.5-hour Clapton mix blaring away from my PC speakers -- eating is a necessity, but so is hearing Derek & The Dominos jam through Key To The Highway, Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out and Layla. Another couple favorites are EC's cover of Elton John's "Border Song" from the Two Rooms disc, and his cover of Jimi Hendrix's "Stone Free" -- which is Clapton growling and snarling while his guitar screams and climbs and dives through notes. Every time I hear his Stone Free, I ponder why I never got one of the EC signature Stratocasters with the mid-range boost that, in my opinion, equates the Strat with any 70's-era Les Paul and almost all Paul Reed Smith six-strings.

Um...where was I? Working, oh yeah.

So I finally touched base with my other half around six-ish to let her know I'd been thinkin' aboot her and that I was still buried up to my eyebrows in paper. I told her I was going over to the NYC Tourist Center, where they sell toilet paper rolls with Saddam Hussein's picture on each square with the caption "Wipe Your Crack With The Guy From Iraq," and buy a replacement snow-globe for her nephew Sammy, who dropped it accidentally on their kitchen table and broke it. So I got the globe (two, actually) and headed back up and did some more organizational stuff so I could work at home tomorrow. As I sit here ready to leave, I am contemplating what I am going to eat, when, and if I will make it home awake or if I'll need to be woken up by the time we reach my building.

And whether I have the discipline to turn off the PC before the last Clapton tune, "Mainline Florida," winds down. The song, btw, is a mix of a rollicking, bluesy stroll, a la Led Zeppelin's "Rock and Roll," and "Hoochie Coochie Man."

I'd highly advise any and all to pick up a copy of "461 Ocean Boulevard" and pop it on/in ASAP. And play it loud.

And forget discipline. Some things are more important...like waiting four minutes, seven seconds for the outro and then the next song... :-)

No comments: