Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Turning Tide

In and of itself, the last week has been tumultuous both personally and politically.

Since my last check-in, Kaia and I spent the better part of the last week checking out some apartments (finding not one but two viable options) and setting in motion the paperwork for her official Eastward jaunt. Inasmuch as this process -- moving -- is an upheaval for her, it's oddly scary in a happy way for me.

We've been talking about her relocating to NYC for so long that it made me wonder whether she ever would. I knew her heart was in the right place, but for someone that -- despite being a world traveler -- never lived further than a half-hour from her family proper, the move was and remains a huge thing. She and I both are conscious it's only a six-hour plane ride from her family -- and a half-hour versus six hours is not a huge disparity, all things considered -- but it's still a mental, emotional step that is big.

As for me, I'm at once both unnerved a bit and incredibly happy. We discussed this and both of us agree it's a big step, one that will have significant implications on both our lives, both individually and together. Initially, there's no ring and no one-knee proposal, but we're both fully aware that this is us moving forward for the rest of our lives.

(Pause).

As for the other excitement -- as if anything else could compare to the above-described news -- the last week or so has been interesting vis-a-vis Barack Obama's impending inauguration. While I am firmly -- and proudly -- committed to the politics and the government of this nation, I -- as a conservative -- can't complain about the manifestations from the past eight or so months that have led us to this day. There are some pro's and con's about Mr. Obama's incoming administration, but overall I am pleased that he's going to be in the driver's seat. I thought John McCain was the wrong man for the job, and I'm glad the country got it right by electing Mr. Obama. I'm also glad that we finally moved forward enough to recognize that a black man can and should be elected if he's the better candidate, and while I don't necessarily agree with every decision he's offered or some of the choices for his cabinet, I think he's a good man and I think he'll be a successful President. Without going out on too much of a limb, most -- if not all -- of us can agree that he'll be more successful than his predecessor.

I saw this article on Slate this AM and it resonated with me on some level. Aside from the fact thatthe author,

No comments: