Sunday, March 13, 2005

Morning Dew

As of my last post herein, I opined that the weekend would be just a small distraction while I made the final push towards Tuesday's deadline. Well, I was right -- for the most part. It's been pretty much non-stop work except for an hour here or there to watch a movie or TV, or to speak to friends. But even during those respites, my mind has been largely preoccupied by the variety of assignments and requirements that need to be wrapped up ASAP.

My other half accompanied her father and her 4-year-old nephew to the deck of the USS Hornet, an aircraft carrier-cum-museum located in Alameda, California. Based on the description she gave me, it's a lot like the USS Intrepid, which is docked on the Hudson River here in NYC (in the 40's). Sammy, her nephew, donned a flight suit and was allowed to hop into the cockpit of a fighter. Hearing his voice and how excited he was to actually go (I spoke to him before they went), I can only imagine how much fun it was; and knowing that I was stuck in while they were cavorting topside on an aircraft carrier makes me even more jealous :-)

Based on how big my deadline is, I've noticed I can barely sleep without waking up and feeling that rush, that pull, that gets me out of bed and in front of my paperwork without clearing my head of the night's cobwebs. It's almost like waking up at 8AM on a Sunday and thinking it's Monday, and immediately running for the shower, thinking you're running late when in fact you're running, for a Sunday morning, very, very early. And the only thing that has been keeping my weekend even remotely palatable is touching base with the other half. She manages to keep me on an even keel (no pun intended) despite the deadline and the work and the lack of "downtime." What's even more interesting is that I don't remember the last time I went to bed without speaking to her, but all I know is that her voice has the power to calm me, soothe my worries (without dismissing them) and making it all better. Sort of like a cure for a "boo-boo" of the soul, so to speak.

Granted, work deadlines aren't exactly soul-based boo-boos...but whatever I face, it seems it's always better when she's there with me. Rather than add to the complexity or the difficulty, she breaks it down to a manageable level, one where things don't seem so crazy and where every task can be addressed, handled and resolved. And for the first time since I don't know when, I can act with assuredness amid the crises and not worry.

And smile.

No comments: