Thursday, March 03, 2005

Lunacy Rising

It occurs to me that when work is way too stressful, the best solution is to either fire up a bong full of Froot Loops and watch Regis and Kelly or to blog about it. Since I'm all out of Froot Loops and Regis irritates me (yes, that's my final answer), here I am.

Tuesday was an annual filing deadline for us, amid the myriad snowstorms, freezing temperature and biting wind. As a result we collectively filed about a foot of paper, give or take a half-inch. Problem is that while that deadline was looming, so were a half-dozen other projects that needed attention, and since my attention was focused elsewhere, yesterday morning I had the distinct pleasure of re-entering the world of juggling these projects plus another couple of items that needed to be handled ASAFP. On top of that, it was about 35 or so degrees in NYC and I had to wrap the day (ie when the sun is on its way down, as is the temperature) by going to a building inspection on the West Side which had me standing out in the twilight as my feet turned to hypothermia-flavored fudgesicles. The capper was when the inspector needed to go to the bathroom and did so with me "standing guard" on 71st Street. A wise man once cautioned against pissing in the wind, however he never said anything about it freezing in mid-stream. Something to consider...

So as of this moment I'm aboot to head into the shower and out into the cold to put a wrap on one opinion letter before wrapping another one; then I've got a five-page summation for a client of his matters with us, plus a new series of charts which need to accompany the summation document -- and all of this needs to be completed by Friday afternoon.

Of course, the good news is that my father's health has been steadily and noticeably improving; he managed two visits into the office this week and both days were smooth sailing and he didn't need to lie down during either. And as much as I am pleased about his improvement as well as knowing we successfully navigated a major filing deadline this week, I've got too much in the air to stop and ponder for too long, even if it's for something as great as his return to prior form; hence my absence herein yesterday. Assuming I've got my head above water this weekend I'm sure things will improve and the HoB will continue to populate, but if I get another emergency that needs to be handled immediately (and if the last week has been any indicator, I'm sure I will), I'll make no promises; we at HoB eschew the "post-in-a-can" in favor of fresh content, so come back and come back often. Even if it's to witness my semi-manic nervous breakdown, I can assure you that you'll be entertained; that, and/or knowing somewhere in my subconsciousness The Rolling Stones tune "Monkey Man" is playing and in repeat mode, and my brainwaves are spiking along with Charlie Watts' and Bill Wyman's pulsing 3/4 staccato. I know it's only rock and roll, but...I like it.

One final thought before I return to the world of 24-7 lunacy: the last couple nights have been early to bed, somewhat early to rise, at the expense of being awake and spending time on the phone with my other half. Though we've spoken a bunch, it's not the same, and I definitely sense something missing. Mental note to self: when you find someone who can make you smile no matter how crazy, awful or intense things are around you, then grab ahold and don't let go. And don't forget to smile.
"For those passionately in love, the whole world seems to smile."
David Myers

No comments: