Friday, February 13, 2009

The Bill -- and a Call -- For Stimulation

We Americans of the Microwave Generation are impenetrably impatient, impudent and improbably immiscible.

Now that I've raided the closet (or Webster's Dictionary) -- which is really immaterial -- we can move forward. Or can we?

This week has seen some interesting trends. The stimulus bill that has been kicked around and which should soon -- finally -- be implemented after much debate, discussion and discrepancy, is a compromise of typically grand scale. Essentially, no one is satisfied, which is the stalwart, regurgitated hallmark of any good compromise. Having said all that, despite it being a "good" compromise, I'm not really sure if it's a good bill.

On the plus side, like me, the House and/or the Senate may have to come into the office over the weekend to vote on it.

In other news, I'm being pulled in increasingly disparate directions by everything I've been handling at work, and unless I go out and buy a copy of Microsoft Project or some other GANTT chart software, I'm going to probably lose my mind. To paraphrase Bob Weir of the Grateful Dead, at least I'm enjoying the ride. Except I'm not; being that there's so much to accomplish and being all over the place mentally (and physically), the only plus in this whole equation is that I can do work remotely so I don't have to spend 12 hours a day in the office even if I'm spending four or five hours each night getting it done.

In the meantime, speaking of getting it done, tomorrow's Valentine's Day festivities will be the last for Kaia and I in separate cities (finally). Between work issues, relocation issues, corporate issues, and the occasional tick of concern on both our parts, we're finally going to share the same zip code (and then some). Invariably, whenever a monumental step forward is about to take place, it makes sense to first step back and think about what's about to transpire, and I think -- no, I know -- that with the tiny speck of trepidation we're both really, really excited about this forward move. Inasmuch as this should signify things are a-changin', there aren't really any changes -- things are just getting better. Essentially, I don't foresee any issues whatsoever -- in fact, the only concern I have is knowing we have to pace ourselves: typically we plan for three full weeks at a time. How can you plan an entire lifetime?

I guess we'll have to take one day at a time :-)

In either case, happy Valentine's Day to all of you sane, happy singles and couples; and to those of you who don't quite fit that description, there's always next year.

Now, about that stimulation...

-B-

No comments: