Sunday, July 30, 2006

In The Wee, Wee Hours

Or, what to do if you're a super-wealthy anti-Semitic idiot with alcohol issues?
Mel Gibson, apparently, knew enough to apologize before the shitstorm that was about to hit.

Awhile back, in these very pages, I observed how actors, specifically Tom Cruise and Mel Gibson, had been actors whose work I respected, but thanks, by and large, to their off-screen exploits and personas, I not only lost all respect for their work but would never again contribute to their popularity by seeing or purchasing any of their movies.

Subsequent to that post, Tom Cruise largely went underground with his "wife," and the stories of the birth of their daughter have included some bizarre circumstances and rules, all of which have been tied to his belief in Scientology.

Mel Gibson, a devout Catholic, stayed out of the public spotlight as well -- until last night.

This morning, I was perusing the various news sites which I frequent to find that Mr. Gibson was arrested late the night prior for drunken driving. I chuckled a bit, knowing that Mr. Gibson, a devout (aka a holier than thou, arrogant prick) Catholic, would be publicly humiliated by doing something so stupid. However, I felt a slight pang of guilt taking pleasure at his misfortune.

Later in the day, after spending some time out and about, I read Mr. Gibson's public statement in response to his arrest:
After drinking alcohol on Thursday night, I did a number of things that were very wrong and for which I am ashamed.

I drove a car when I should not have, and was stopped by the LA County Sheriffs. The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person.

I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable. I am deeply ashamed of everything I said, and I apologize to anyone who I have offended.

Also, I take this opportunity to apologize to the deputies involved for my belligerent behavior. They have always been there for me in my community and indeed probably saved me from myself.

I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry.

I have battled with the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse. I apologize for any behavior unbecoming of me in my inebriated state and have already taken necessary steps to ensure my return to health.
After reading this very contrite, frank apology, I felt even more guilty recalling my initial chuckle over his arrest.

Then this evening, after returning home from a night with some friends, I checked my e-mail and noticed there was more to the Mel Gibson arrest than was initially made public. Apparently, it wasn't one of those simple "I'm drunk, officer, here're my keys, sorry" arrests. It was more, at first, like an arrest on the show "Cops." Thereafter, apparently, Mr. Gibson had some pretty sharp words for the arresting officers.

While the initial reporting of the arrest didn't disclose anything specific, later reports went into much more detail. As indicated in the Washington Post article linked in the prior sentence, Mr. Gibson managed to intimidate the arresting officer by suggesting he would get him back and "fuck" him; in addition, he mumbled "Fucking Jews...the Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world." Subsequently, he asked the arresting officer if he was a Jew.

Once he arrived at the station, he was belligerent and nasty; after referring to one female officer as "Sugar-Tits," he then refused to sign the statement prepared by the arresting officer. The report, however, was initially rescinded and a "sanitized" version was made public in anticipation of the anti-Semitic comments; once the original report managed to land online, however, the shitstorm started.

Now that the cat is out of the bag, and anyone who doubted Mr. Gibson was an anti-Semitic idiot with alcohol issues should now see the light (or at least can read it in black and white), I don't wonder whether or not he will lose respect in Hollywood; whether he does or doesn't is irrelevant. The bottom line, for me, is that he's a piece of shit and I know I was right to withdraw any regard or respect for him I once held. And more importantly, I'm glad this incident was documented on both paper and video.

But most importantly, I am thankful that his repulsive, ignorant anti-Semitic rant will forever be linked to his drunken driving and his misogynistic, arrogant condescension of police officers. This way, when he attempts to spend another two hours on film spewing his racist, condescending, limited view of the world, it can be laughed at rather than pored over and studied.

At this point, the only movie I think he'd be capable of spouting his knowledge in would be one with the working title "I'm A Fucking Jackass."

Enough with the book/news versions that have played out thus far...that's a Mel Gibson movie I'd like to see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said. The whole situation makes me sick. I was willing to cut Mel some limited slack after the whole Passion of the Christ backlash, but now I am done with him.

Frankly I am amazed he has managed to thrive in Hollywood as long as he has, considering a significant portion of the power brokers are Jewish. I guress as long as his movies made money, people were willing to look the other way. I wonder what's going to happen now? I personally think he is going to be a pariah a la Tom Cruise. I was going to suggest these idiots just STFU but maybe not. Maybe it's better they spell it out their "misguided", (read heavy understatement,) beliefs and then we can choose to boycott them. Hmmm, there's a concept...

Boogie said...

Thanks for the positive feedback -- I tried addressing this in a relatively mature way rather than letting emotion enter into it. Hopefully I succeeded.

I definitely think Mel's got some problems, and while alcohol is certainly one of them, his attitude and his bigotry are not as easily dismissed, nor are they going to be forgotten, at least by me. Tom Cruise buried himself with his behavior and Spielberg has, essentially, left him behind. I think many people will distance themselves from Mel initially; I hope that they remember what he is behind the mask and treat him accordingly. Like Lisa and Julie, I liked his movies and never had a problem with him as a person; but thanks to his behavior and his recent outburst, as far as I'm concerned, he's in the past tense.

Personally, I wouldn't judge him based on his father's denial the Holocaust took place; however, when I read his comments, that did it for me. "Sugar-tits" didn't bother me that much; it was sort of a Dan Fielding (Night Court) moment. But it's pretty clear he's a misogynistic bigot with a huge ego and a problem with alcohol. Good luck with all that, Mel.

Thanks again for the positive feedback...'tis much appreciated.