Saturday, January 28, 2006

Sensory Overload

Getting in late and going to bed isn't quite what it used to be.

The last few days have been a juggling act, as per usual. A variety of matters, all up in the air, plus an ancillary deadline (not mine directly, but it's an office-wide deadline so it indirectly affects me) have been swirling in my head. On top of that, my mother and my sister left yesterday to see my grandmother and get her ready to relocate to NY. So aside from the emotional toll that's taking on all of us, the fact is my sister is out of town -- meaning, she's not in the office -- so all of her work and duties are landing, temporarily, on my shoulders. That's not too-too big a deal, since voicemail and e-mail can be checked no matter where she is. But there still remains the new assessments floating around, and that's a whole 'nother issue entirely.

Our long-term deadline is March 1st, so the clock is ticking -- I got screwed timing-wise and ended up having to miss a friend's birthday dinner last night. I'll likely end up being back in the office again tomorrow, but in the mean time, that's what is happening -- or not happening -- here. Kaia and I have a "phone" date later; it's gotten so bad, between her work schedule and mine, that we have to block out time to spend together, even on the phone. At some point, it occurred to me that whether we're three thousand miles away or in different rooms of the same apartment, having to make time for one another is a likely necessity. It's not the stuff of romance novels, but there's nothing more than I'd rather be doing than spending time with her; I'm beginning to understand that even when it's "easy" it takes work to feed and grow a relationship, whether it's next door or on the other coast.

Or as a friend of mine recently advised, "It sounds like you're married."

:-D

No comments: