Friday, July 11, 2008

Another Week in Paradise

Sorry, been so busy with work and sleep, I've been completely-ish lax in stopping back in. Hope everyone's Fourth o' July was awesome...for those of you who missed the fireworks, here you go, you tardy bastage(s)...

In all seriousness, I've been spending a lot of time working on a writing project, so by the time I'm finishing up at 1 or so AM, the last thing I want to do is stop in here and rehash how I'm trying to delicately skirt around the CIA's use of water torture in The Bullpen (the name of the rooms where they typically hold interrogations in Langley and elsewhere) and what it smells like when a hollow-point bullet enters and exits a shoulder blade. And to answer your next question, the writing project is indeed a political/spy thriller (it ain't limericks).

Meanwhile, in other news...despite the fact that it's been in the high 80's/low 90's this entire week, I'm not depressed. Granted, I've been drinking water non-stop for the past few weeks -- taking time out for meals, of course -- but the weather (in which I've been running around, natch) hasn't got me down.

Nor has the plight of the Yankees, who continue to be a bastion of mediocrity despite their payroll exceeding that of the GNP's of most nations on the American continent. That doesn't really upset me -- after all, the YES Network shows Yankees Classics so I can watch, with some regularity, Yankee teams win rather than lose with consistency.

My iPod is still functioning, so knowing the new iPhone is coming out to ravenous waves of rabid, surging Apple fan-boys is a non-issue. I've been pondering getting an iPod Touch but we're trying to save money for our trip to Mexico next month. Plus, since I got rid of my first iPod, I've been nothing but happy. This one, a 60GB Video, does pretty much everything necessary to keep me and my attention span on the tunes and nothing else. And the nice plus is it hooks into my Denon 3808CI, which IMHO is the best piece of audio/video equipment I've ever owned. The Denon cleans all the HD signals pouring into my home theater system (from cable, DVD players, my PC and soon, my home media player) and spits out a pristine, shiny, perfect 1080i signal. And the nice thing about the Denon is it lets me play the iPod through an integrated dock that allows me to control everything on screen.

So what is bothering me? Not much, actually. My grandmother's doing well -- in fact, my entire family's doing well -- and Kaia is due in early next month prior to our Mexico jaunt.

Perhaps, then, what is bothering me is that I don't know how long we'll have to wait to see this.

We both loved Cloverfield, especially because the home theater system brought it to life (nothing like a giant monster movie on a big screen with an equally big soundtrack). But methinks this new one ought to be experienced live, in the theater, where people might poop in their pants from excitement, just like at Shady Pines (only without that crazy-people smell).

More later.

No comments: